1. Education

For Taking Faster Notes in Class

There's nothing worse than staring at a test question and having no idea where it came from. "Was that covered in class?" you wonder to yourself--because it sure wasn't in the notes you studied.

Then, after class, you discover that your friends all got the question right. It was in their notes, it just wasn't in your notes.

This sinking feeling creeps over everyone at some point. Sometimes we just can't realistically expect to capture every word the teacher says. But there is a way to increase the amount of information we capture in our notes.

By developing your own personalized speed writing technique, you can record more information and do so more quickly and more accurately. Simply create a shorthand, of sorts, that uses abbreviations and symbols for words you hear most often in each specific course. By developing this skill now, you'll become an expert note-taker by the time you reach college. You'll be glad you took the time!

Comments

May 13, 2006 at 7:51 pm
(1) Shante Knox says:

hey that is what they all say but it never works. Try sending me some more tips in my e-mail and I will see if this one works. Thank you!

May 14, 2006 at 7:17 pm
(2) homeworktips says:

Shante,
Be sure to sign up for the Homework Tips newsletter!
grace

May 22, 2006 at 10:42 am
(3) Cody says:

i have checked out a book on speedwriting and have been learnin it for about a month now. it works for me. you have to focus when you’re learning it because it goes so fast. i practice a lot. i’ve filled an entire notebook with speed writing practice.

June 28, 2006 at 4:29 am
(4) trube says:

arresting blog! http://www.aehawaii.com

April 19, 2008 at 1:52 pm
(5) mary says:

Please tell me – is it better to have your own code for some words and to cut them shorter or to learn the official speed writing alphabet used by journalists?

August 5, 2009 at 2:16 am
(6) Ben says:

it is a brilliant website! I would like to say my friends about this website!