1. Education
Grace Fleming

Do You Listen to Music When You Study?

By September 14, 2009

There have been many studies about the impact of music on the brain. Some recent studies suggest that participating in music programs is good for students. Music appears to have a positive effect on reading and math achievement.

But what about listening to music while studying? Lots of students like to do it, but one study suggests that listening to music while studying isn't helpful, because the music causes a distraction. So music can be a good thing--but only when used properly. What do you think? Does music affect your studies?

Comments

September 21, 2009 at 2:36 pm
(1) Halley says:

Here is the catch, I don’t listen to music with words. Only instrumental, and it needs to be a happy medium of upbeat yet soothing. I also reserve this music ONLY for study time. I also have nature sounds (birds, frogs, thunder etc) that I listen to when studying. This has several benefits! It seems to also help me with the seasonal disorder from winter. Birds and storms and bright sunny cheery screen savers keep my mood up, even at night and I focus much better. I only wish my professor would let me listen to it during an exam. I mean, it’s just birds chirping. No way to cheat there! Maybe I’ll try! :)

I’ve also read that listening to Mozart while studying helps memory too. Just keep it instrumental. :) And don’t forget, eat some chocolate!!!!

January 27, 2010 at 2:30 pm
(2) Melissa says:

I listen to music while studying but its always instrumental. I actually find that it keeps me focused on my work and Im not as easily distracted. I usually listen to classical, smooth jazz, or even new age music (pandora.com has a great selection). Either way it keeps me on course and maintains my mood after hours upon hours of the books.

July 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(3) Dave! Yognaught says:

I like to listen to dubstep while i study. I think it helps me not to stare off into space and keep consecrated on the screen or paper.

August 8, 2011 at 7:11 am
(4) SantaFE says:

My first post ! :)

November 24, 2011 at 8:45 am
(5) jeff says:

I listen to music 24/7 and i am currently getting into the music indistrie and im in highschool. i find that listen to music does help me study in class cause when the class is loud or noise all i do is throw on some metal and i can foucs on my work without hear 4000 voices all at once. so i think music does help u study or work lots better in classs

January 24, 2013 at 10:32 am
(6) Zor says:

I listen to dubstep when I’m doing homework for math, science, engineering, or computer programming since it seems to motivate me to keep focused. Outside of study time I listen to rap but I find that I get distracted by listening to the lyrics if I’m studying. When I do something with a lot of reading involved though, I generally opt for silence and read aloud (if I’m alone) so I can have the benefit of hearing as well as seeing the words.