So what can you do? It's no mystery: as with anything, read and study the rules several times, and it will all seem natural, eventually.
Writing Numbers One through Ten
Spell out numbers one through ten, as in this example:
- My little brother ate four apples before dinner and became ill.
- Why do parents always check to see if babies have ten toes?
Spell out numbers above ten, unless writing the number would involve using more than two words. For example:
- I have sixty-three dead bugs in my collection.
- My cousin has 207 bugs in his.
- This site has given me a thousand helpful hints for my homework.
- My grandmother is seventy-two today.
- My little sister had about 4,763 measles on her face.
- Four hundred fifty people attended the birthday party.
- There were 450 people at the party.
Use numbers for dates:
My birthday is March 16.
- He was born on Valentines Day, 1975.
- The phone number for the school is 800-555-6262
- The international code for England is 44.
- The alarm will sound at 7 p.m.
- I make my bed at 7 a.m. each morning.
- The alarm will sound at seven o'clock.
- I make my bed at seven each morning.